I offer full tech editing services to knitting designers, ensuring that your knitting pattern is correct, clear and consistent. It can be hard to send your hard work over to someone for them to look for problems with it, so I always aim to be helpful, professional and kind. Designer and tech editor are a team, and I'm there to support you!
When tech editing patterns I will check:
- all the numbers to ensure that stitches and dimensions add up correctly
- written instructions to make sure they are complete and easy to follow for your target knitter's ability
- all necessary information is present relating to yarn and needle requirements, gauge, abbreviations, notions etc.
- spelling, grammar and style, following your style guide if you have one
- charts and corresponding written instructions, cross-checking to ensure that both give the same result
Preferred formats are Google Docs using comments and Suggested Edits, or PDFs, which I can send back with comments marked up. Occasionally I'll use Microsoft Word with Track Changes enabled.
“I loved how detailed Marina was with my pattern's tech edit & how patient she was when I had to put the pattern's production on hold for a time. She provided helpful suggestions along with the technical corrections which shows that she's not only checking the numbers, but that she's also reading through the pattern and striving to ensure that the instructions make sense as written. On top of all that, she is very sweet to deal with so I will definitely be working with her again & recommending her to friends.” – Shaina Scott, Yumi Yarns
“Very helpful, very quick and really very detail conscious! Marina wanted to work with me, even though I'm a newbie in writing patterns whose mother tongue is not English.” – Ursula Koll
As well as tech editing patterns, I also offer:
- Creation of charts in StitchMastery (from written patterns or photos/scans of hand-drawn charts)
- Creation of schematics – either clean, vector graphics in Illustrator, or more stylised hand-drawn and scanned illustrations, delivered in your choice of file format, e.g. PDF, EPS, GIF
- Pattern writing and re-writing. Got your design and your notes, but don't know how to turn them into a pattern that knitters will be able to follow? Perhaps you've written out the pattern but feel like it's too long or confusing? Or maybe you're an experienced designer wishing you didn't have to spend all that time writing up. I can take what you have already and write it up into a clear and concise pattern that knitters will love to follow, letting you focus on the creative work!
- Development of your style guide, which can be used for reference to ensure consistency within a pattern and across all your publications, and to speed up the writing and editing process.
If you're looking for someone positive, approachable and professional to help you make your patterns the best they can be, send me an email or use the contact form. If you have a pattern ready to go, send it over to me for a no-obligation quote. I'll get back to you by the next working day whenever possible!
At the moment I don’t grade patterns or work with crochet designs.